23 August 2008

Pushing LilyPond to the extreme!!!

I'm pretty sure that the "shortest" note Sibelius recognizes is the 512th note. I've never *really* used Finale for more than 5 minutes, so I can't tell you how it compares to Sibelius. My *guess* is that it has a similar limit. Now, LilyPond is a different animal. I knew that LilyPond's limit for *unbeamed* notes is the 64th note, a la: But, when it comes to *beamed* notes, all I remember hearing is "the sky is the limit". So, I have put LilyPond to the test. Here is a case where LilyPond fares very well with 131072nd notes: Yes. Now if you ask me, that is FREAKIN' awesome! I won't make you count the beams, but there are 15!!! Trust me! I tried an example with 262144th notes, but the formatting isn't as pleasing: I'm pretty sure you could squeeze even more extreme note lengths from LilyPond if you use a smaller font size (these examples use the 20pt default). :-P All I can say is... Take that, Finale and Sibelius!! (P.S. Click on the images to see them in higher resolution)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But can it wipe your ass for you? That is the question you should be asking yourself!